Wailua River Kayak & Waterfall Hike Small Groups
Kayak the Wailua River and hike through lush jungle to a secret waterfall. This 5 hour adventure gets you into the Kauai bush, while enjoying the narration and safety of a guided tour. We keep the group under 12 kayaks so guests can get personalized attention from the guides.
Ancient Kauai River Kayak & Secret Falls Jungle Hike
The Wailua River is the largest and longest river in the Hawaiian Islands. It's a recreational marvel and kayaking is a perfect way to experience it. This guided option begins at the mouth of the river where it enters the ocean. You'll meet your guides who will get you set up in your two-man kayak. Lessons will be provided if needed. As you make your way up the river, your guides will tell you all about it's rich history. The paddle is 2 miles each way but river is at sea level and has virtually no current to speak of. The paddle is doable for anyone in decent shape and with a thirst for adventure.
Eventually, you'll divert into a smaller stream and arrive at the trailhead for the waterfall hike. This trail can only be reached via the river and it's one of Kauai's finest hikes. You'll journey over streams and boulders and experience a real Hawaiian jungle. The dense foliage will shade you for most of the hike. Your guides will stop often to narrate.
After about 1 mile of hiking, you reach your prize. Secret Falls. This waterfall is hidden within the jungle canopy and it is only when you arrive, that you can appreciate it's beauty. A small swimming hole with waist deep water provides the perfect refuge to cool off.
While you bathe, your guides will get you lunch ready.You'll hang out at the waterfall for about 1 hour before turning back. By the time you return the kayak shack your adventure will have been about 5 hours! This truly is an adventure. Only do this if you are ready activity and aren't afraid to get a little dirty! Activities Of Kauai offer discounts on these guided tours. We also have rental options if you want to do this tour on your own.
Duration: 5 Hours
Availability: Monday - Friday: Departures times: 7:15am - 8:30am 9:30am 10:30am 12:30pm
Restrictions: No children under 5. No pregnacies. Must be in excellent heath.
What To Bring: Closed Toed Shoes - Sunscreen - Bathing
WHAT TO BRING:
- Comfortable shoes (hiking sandals –like Tevas or water shoes – sneakers are okay, but they will get wet and muddy) - No Flip Flops
- Light, comfortable clothing, with a swimsuit under your clothing
- Towel, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, bug repellant
- Camera and your sense of adventure (Each kayak has a watertight drybag.)
- Ocean Zest Double Kayaks with supportive seats, lightweight aluminum paddles and children’s paddles.
- Each kayak has life jackets and drybag backpack. We do offer one single kayak for people traveling alone.
- Deli lunch & bottled water. Choose from turkey, ham, roast beef or vegetarian sandwiches. Chips, cookies and pineapple are prepared by your guide.
- Participants should be comfortable in the water, enjoy hiking and be in good physical condition. Expect 4 miles of paddling and 2 miles of hiking. Trail conditions can be muddy and slippery at times.
- No bad knees, or bad backs
- Tour time clocks at 4.5-5 hours, depending on the pace of the group.
- To protect both of you, we cannot accept bookings for women who will be 20 weeks pregnant or more on the date of the tour. Women who are under 20 weeks pregnant are accepted based on trail conditions.
- Tours go out, rain or shine. In the event of extreme inclement weather, tours will be re-scheduled.
- 24-hour notice is required for cancellation; 72 hours notice is required for groups of 6 or more passengers. 100% penalty charge strictly enforced.